Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The New Start




Hello all, this is Tracy posting a blog for Rick. He has been out of commission for the last few days. So I decided to try to catch you all up. Please bare with me, as I do not write anywhere as well as he does.
He has been in a lot of pain the past 3 days, the pain being in the bottom of his feet. He says it feels like someone is taking a lighter to the bottom of his feet and moving it around continuously. He has not slept in three days because of the pain. The little sleep he has gotten is when he is sitting straight up in his chair with his feet sitting in 2 buckets of ice.

The transplant went very well. They started at 11:37 last night and was finished by 1:25am. We were all scared to death, not knowing what was going to happen. They gave Rick some Adivan, Benadryl and Diloted about 30 minutes prior which calmed down the shakes he was experiencing due to nerves and feet pain. His left hand went numb for about 15 minutes which freaked out the nurses, but we never knew it until they said something about it at the end. Our nurse Mandy was awesome through the entire process, she had a great sense of humor. Rick was taking all kinds of pictures in his drug induced stupor.
He starts on a new med tonight at about 1:30am that keeps his new stem cells under bay, and hopefully will keep his graft vs host disease to a minimum. This medicine is known for causing very bad mouth sores and stomach issues. This weekend through next week will be the worst of the worst, but they keep telling us it has to get worse before it gets better.

Hopefully we will have Rick up and blogging in the next day or so. Thank you all for the love, support and prayers, couldn't get through this without you guys.

Special Thanks to Melisa (my rock, because my other rock is currently under repair) Ashley and Lily for being here for Ricks new Birthday as the Nurses put it. We love you guys.

5 comments:

  1. Tracy, thanks for the update! If there is anything I can do to help please let me know! My thoughts and prayers are with you all! Hang in there Rick!!

    Much love~ :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. tracy and rick, i'm praying bigtime for y'all. Rick is so strong and i have no doubt that he'll get through the worst of it and will be in the "better" stage real soon. love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting Tracy. I continue to pray for both of you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick and Tracy---I've been gone from AIG since Feb 06 but try to stay up to date on how you are doing! I hope this transplant works well and I'm glad Melisa is being a good rock for you! I'll be thinking of you both and checking back often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you both and think of you always!!

    ReplyDelete